The heart of Raleigh Country is East Budleigh because in 1552 the renowned
Elizabethan Sir Walter Raleigh was born here, in the farmhouse known as
The farmhouse was built in the 16th Century in the shape of an ‘E’ as a
compliment to Queen Elizabeth.
As a boy, young Walter would certainly have spent much time on the beach
at Budleigh Salterton, and maybe his love of the sea came from the stories
he would have heard from the local fishermen and seafarers.
The Raleigh family settled here in 1537 and soon became involved in the
village community. Walter’s father was a church warden in All Saints Church,
East Budleigh. The Raleigh pew on the left side of the nave is dated 1537.
Open to the public on the edge of the village is the Salem an old Dissenters
Chapel, built in 1719 and well worth a visit.
The celebrated Sir John G. Millais resided
for some time in a house called the
‘Octagon’ on South Parade. Here he
painted his famous picture in which is
depicted a wall that is still standing on the